The boy lollipop requested turkey schnitzel. He said I have not made this for ages. I use to cook this with all types of protein then keep some to make sandwiches for his school lunch box. This is a very easy but children and adult pleasing dish. You can make a sauce for it but there is no need actually. Children loves it dip in ketchup and adults preferred a squeeze of lemon and tartare sauce with a bit of capers.
You can serve with potatoes, pasta or anything you like but I have always serve with a side salads.
Turkey schnitzel with lettuce & pickled red peppers
- Fillets of turkeys
- Butter for frying
- Lemon wedges
- Tartare sauce + capers
- Plate 1
- pinch salt
- Plate 2
- all purpose flour
- pinch salt
- Plate 3
- beaten eggs
- Plate 4
- Golden breadcrumbs
- Panko Japanese breadcrumbs
- Parmesan cheese grated
- Lightly flatten the turkey steaks to same thickness with rolling pin if you do not have a meat tenderiser mallet. Then place onto plate 1 to soak for at least 15 minutes.
- Removed your turkey steaks from milk bath, dust with your flour (Plate 2).
- Remove excess flours then dip into your eggs (Plate 3).
- Lastly coat with the breadcrumbs (Plate 4) generously removing excess and place to rest before frying.
- Fry with a lump of butter. Fry each side on low heat for 2 minuted before turning twice over. 6 minutes was ample time for me. The turkey was tender and juicy.