My friend gave me two jars of homemade thick cut marmalade jam last year and we have finished a jar. The second jar was kicking about in my store cupboard and I have been promising hubby to make a Bread and Butter pudding for him. A special St Clement Bread and Butter pudding. We were given some ‘Bread and Butter pudding’ the other day but after a taste we had to bin them. They were unpalatable. What can I say? My body is my temple? I am extremely picky? kekekekeke either one works fine for me.
Hubby has been looking forward to eating this for a whole week so I have decided to make it today. He was hinting to me about the all buttered brioche sitting in the cupboard. As the recipe is not hard I have decided to make a post in case someone like to make it. It’s a good way to make use of stale bread which is what is used in the olden days. Actually it is better to use a few days old bread. However this is a posher version, I am using brioche.
You can eat bread and butter pudding with pouring cream, clotted cream or custard cream. You can also chose to eat it on it’s own.
My version is called St Clement Bread and Butter pudding because I am using the juice and zest of a lemon and orange. The nursery rhyme of orange and lemon – read here St Clement. Bread and Butter pudding is an old-fashioned English family favourite that is kind on the wallet.
St Clement Bread and Butter pudding
- 1 loaf All buttered brioche
- 3 to 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup cream
- ½ tsp cane sugar
- 1 Orange zest
- 1 Lemon zest
- ½ a Orange juice
- ½ a Lemon juice
- Butter and spread jam onto the bread. Then slice into triangles and arrange on a baking tray.
- Beat the eggs mixture. Add in the milk, cream, lemon juice and orange juice.
- Pour the mixture all over the prepared buttered bread and let it soak. At this stage you can let it soak overnight covered with cling film in the fridge overnight.
- Bake in oven 180C for 40 minuted to 45 minutes. It is better to serve warm.
- You can soak raisins with rum overnight and add to your bread and butter pudding. Normally raisins are added but my husband do not like raisins.