The weather have been absolutely glorious and I have decided to fry chicken for my boy lollipop as I have not make my double dipped twice fried crispy chicken for him for a long time.
He always insisted that he preferred my fried chicken to the well known chain ones but I only fry for him a handful of times a year.
After the wet and cold of winter the weather have been almost spring like the last few days so today it is my special Double dipped twice fried crispy chicken day.
I much preferred to buy whole chicken and chop it myself. The chicken has been thoroughly massaged with salts and rinsed clean before chopping ready for marinating.
I did not have any buttermilk but I have lemons, milk and double cream so I decided to make my own buttermilk for my chicken marinate.
It is better to marinate your chicken overnight but if you do not have the chance then a good 3 to 4 hours would be preferred.
Frying time is given based on the fact that my chicken pieces are at room temperature.
Double dipping and twice fried makes the chicken really crispy. Remember the whole trick is to shake the seasoned flour away after each coating.
Double dipped twice fried crispy chicken
- 1 whole Chicken cleaned and chopped
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- 2 cups Self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp Chicken powder
- 1 – 2 tbsp Thai 7-spice
- 1 – 2 tsp Pepper
- 2 tsp Double action baking powder
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate soda
- 3 Eggs
- 3 tbsp Water
- 5 cups Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Full cream milk
- 1 Lemon juice + skin
- 2 tbsp Double cream
- Marinate chicken pieces overnight with DIY buttermilk then drained well.
- Dust the drained chicken with the seasoned flour and shake off all the excess.
- Dip the chicken into the egg mixture and drain well.
- Dust the egg washed chicken again and shake off the excess flour. Place on a tray ready for frying.
- First fry in hot medium oil for 5 minutes just to brown. Rest the chicken pieces till cold.
- Second fry. Fry the chicken pieces just before serving till cook.