A friend gave me a shark fin melon and I have been waiting to do something special with it besides just soup and tong sui.
I was chatting to a friend last week and she told me that she simply loves this melon and could I plan to plant a lot in my garden next year so she can have a few. Shockingly I have found out from her that these melons can be kept for a long long time even years!
Anyway she said some people treat them as noodles and so this light bulb moment was hatched. I want to turn this one into a nice bowl of mock glass noodles soup. I am happy it turned out quite well.
Next I would be using crab stock and even chicken with shredded chicken. The possibilities are endless.
Mock glass noodles soup 冬粉汤 with shark fin melon
- Shark fin melon
- Chicken stock + + +
- Minced pork
- Mushroom powder
- Salt and pepper
- Spring onions
- Crispy shallots
- Crispy garlic
- Fish cakes/balls etc
- Baked the shark fin melon in the oven. Mine is a small football sized so i baked for 40 minutes in 180C
- Use 2 forks to shred the melon and remove the seeds. Set aside your 'glass noodles'
- While the melon is baking make your stock. use anything you like really. I am using a combination of chicken stock and mushroom powder.
- When all are ready, just assemble.
- Marinate for mince pork – salt and pepper, sesame oil and a touch of ginger juice.
TIP – To loosen your marinated meat onto your stock.