When I was young, a long, long time ago my mother used to cook this dish for us five siblings. Sometimes she cooks with prawns and sometimes with lobsters which growing up in Kuching, Sarawak used to be very fresh from a friend of my father’s. We all loved this sauce a lot although our lips would be stinging right after. We still eat it with that ‘sishhhh sishhhh sisshhhh’ sound and drown our pain with cold iced drinks. Blissful days.
This is often not only from the chilli sauce but rather from the ginger as well, lots of ginger that my mother used. I still remember her telling me, ‘it is only easy to cook just 3 equal types of your favourite plum, tomato and chilli sauce.’ I could not recollect where and whence she told me and neither could she now but when my mother said in her ‘that’ tone starting with “It is only easy……” one had better remember and not ask again – kekekekekekeke
Today I am starting to clear my freezer as there is a special box of seafood incoming next week and I need space for some very sexy Spanish’s Iberico Pork.
I decided to cook my crab claws my mother’s way. I do not cook this often for as I aged I find this dish a tad on the sweet side even though I have lessened the use of plum sauce, which I find to be too sweet.
Anyway this is a guide and this sauce is really easy and nice to make if you have to feed a family. With the amount of ginger it goes well with any seafood, prawns, fish, squids etc.
Have a go and adjust the taste to suit you and your family’s taste.
Note – I used Lingham’s chilli sauce with garlic, plum sauce was a generic Thai brand and Heinz tomato sauce in equal portions.
Sweet Chilli Crabs Claws – Special
- 2 kg Crab claws (I scrubbed my crab claws with a hard toothbrush and then used my pestle to bash it a bit.
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ½ cup Ginger julienned
- ½ bulb Garlic minced
- 1 cup Minced shallots
- 1 large Red onions sliced
- 2 to 3 Red chilli (sliced)
- 3 to 4 stalks Spring onions, washed and sliced
- 1 bowl Red tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Rice wine or sherry
- ½ cup Plum sauce
- ½ cup Sweet Chilli sauce
- ½ cup Tomato sauce
- 2 to 3 cups Chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Corn-starch mix with water
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
Preparing the Crab Claws.
- Wash the crab claws and use a brush to brush all the sides. Then I use a pestle to break the claws a bit or you can use a cleaver. Rinse lightly and drain well.
Slicing, mincing and ingredients preparing.
- Slice you onions, spring onions, chillies, mince your garlic, julienned your ginger etc.
- Mix your 3 sauces together to make it easier for yourself. The plum sauce, the tomato sauce and the sweet chilli sauce. I used Lingham's
Woking – Wok on high heat and should be cooked in less than 30 minutes.
- Add oil and fry your ginger and white of spring onions.
- Then add in garlic minced, and shallots mince and sliced onions. The shallots minced helps to give the sauce some 'body' Sometimes I add in blended ginger too (I love the taste of ginger)
- Next add in your crabs, the 3 mixed sauces and stock. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Lastly add in your wine and thickens with corn-starch slurry.
- Bring to boil and turn heat off immediately. Serve and enjoy.
- Note do not overcook. All should be ready in less than 30 minutes.