I have been wanting to eat this for a long time. Especially the burnt bits at the bottom. Finally make it with the lap mei (assorted waxed meats my sister-in-law sent me all the way from Malaysia. Craving satisfied.
Because I do not have a big enough clay pot I made it with my Circulon pan. It turned out quite all right. I purposely leave the rice longer to get more tasty bottom bits.
I used a few mixture of waxed meats and a salted duck legs. Hence I did not use any soy sauce. I leave it for the individual to season themselves.
As I am writing this my stomach actually growled at me. kekekekeke I must be hungry.
Lap Mei Fan Preserved (waxed) Meat Rice 臘味飯
- Assorted wax meat
- Choy sam
- 2 cups Rice
- 1 tbsp Shallot oil
- 1 tsp Chicken powder
- pinch Salt & pepper
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- Start by blanching the wax meats with hot water then slice them.
- In a pot add the washed rice, water and chicken powder. Bring to a boil then lower the heat. Place your blanched and sliced wax meats on top of the rice and season with a pinch of sugar. Cover and leave it to simmer for 10 minutes or so
- Meanwhile blanch the choy sam or bak choy separately with sesame oil and set aside.
- As I am using salted duck I did not add anymore seasoning. Serve and taste.
- If needs more seasoning still then let the individual season themselves.