Steamed Yam Cake – Kuih Keladi 蒸芋头糕.- special. I had a week of holiday with my outlaws and I have had enough of western food. Really desperate for kuih. So today decided to steam a yam cake. I bought a packet of yam a couple of weeks back and have been itching to use it.
Over the years I have experimented with this recipe and I have got it just the way I like it. I do not like the ones with preserved radish, mushrooms, peanuts or even mince meat. I just want plain yam as I love the taste of yam and I do not often have yam. I have adjusted my recipe to suit the frozen yam I buy. They come in a pack of 1kg.
Steamed Yam Cake – Kuih Keladi 蒸芋头糕 is quite a forgiving dish and I will explain in the pics and recipe. My recipe is not that hard to do actually and I will give you some tips that I have learned through trial and error.
Steamed Yam Cake – Kuih Keladi 蒸芋头糕 – special
For the Yam
- 1 kg Yam
- 1 tbsp Chicken powder
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder
- 2 – 3 cup Chicken stock
- 2 tbsp Shallot oil
For the Batter
- 400 g Rice flours
- 200 g Tapioca flours or 180g tapioca flours + 20g wheat starch
- 1½ litres Chicken stock
- 1 tsp 5 spice
- 1 tbsp Chicken powder
- 150 g Dried shrimps soaked and fried
- 100 g Crispy pork lard
- 2 Red chillies
- 2 Spring onions
- 1 cup Prepared fried crispy shallots
- 1 tbsp Shallot oil to brush pan
Yam Cake Preparation
- Cube 1kg of YAM, fry with your shallots oil. Add a tbsp of chicken powder and 5-spice + a pinch of pepper. Fry until you can smell the good YAM smell then add in a cup of chicken stock. Fry a bit and your yam will soak up the stock. Add another cup. You want your yam to be soft but holds it's shapes.
- I used 400g of rice flour and 200g of tapioca flour mix with 1½ litres of light chicken stock. Add pinch of 5 spice. ( You can substitute 20g of tapioca flours for wheat starch if you want a more springy texture. (if you prefer a softer consistency you can add a bit more stock)
- Add the batter mixture to the fried yam and turn heat off when they start to thickens.
- Place into pan oiled with shallots oil and steam for an hour on medium heat.. Read TIP on how to flatten it nicely.
- When done and still hot quickly pressed on top your crispy fried dried shrimps and shallots. Then add thinly shredded spring onions, mince chillies and other garnishing.
- Wait till completely cool before removing from mould and slicing.